Thursday, December 20, 2012

Uncharted Guide Territory

This holiday season has been quite a bit different than most. Sure, I have my traditional one egg nog night cap, but we decided to take the family to the beach for the Christmas season.

After 4 nights on the beautiful island of Turks and Caicos, we arrived in Oklahoma met with blustery winds - not exactly sandal-wearing weather. I had to go try out the local fishery, which is water so unbelievably blue words can't express.

During my morning run I opted to forgo the treadmill and jog down to the marina to stir up some leads on bonefishing guides. I was referred to a Mr. Barr Gardiner with Bonefish Unlimited. What a trip. I hooked into some great fish and had an unbelievable time.

He was always there to give me guidance and was cheaper than the resort guides. Unless you know what you are doing when bonefishing, I highly suggest selecting a reputable guide. Barr had 34 years of experience so he had that portion covered.

Timing was really good for us since the water was cooler in the mornings, so bonefish sightings were pretty good. The boat rid alone was worth the $500 two of us spent trying to land one of these fish. Barr talked us through the paces and before you knew it we were landing fish. If you are planning a trip to a resort don't forget the local guides.

Even though it may be a bit more convenient to just book through the resort doesn't mean it is the best option. I am sure the guides through the resort are great. It just didn't meet what I was looking for. Sometimes a little footwork will pay off in the end.

No comments: