Wednesday, January 2, 2013

A new year

Well, the new year has begun, and I am in no way looking forward to it. The only reason is because it started out so shaky.

Setting the scene, I had the worst night of sleep in ages and once I woke up at 3:30 am for a morning duck hunt my truck battery had died. What a way to ring in the new year. We get out to the spot and realize that it is too muddy to drive right up to so we have to hike in at least a mile.

If you've ever been duck hunting you understand the amount of gear that has to hauled in. Two dozen decoys, blind bag, shotgun and layout blinds. Add to this the bulky waders and you have yourself one gruesome hike.

We did all this work and only shot three ducks. I fired one shot and began realizing why I love deer hunting so much. I like duck hunting, but it really doesn't seem to fit me that well. I enjoy the chase and focus of one animal. I can count on having an opportunity to hunt anywhere I want. I may have to hike in a couple mile, but I know just sitting there is worth every bit. When I am hunched in some shore blind or laying in a layout it doesn't feel the same.

Once I return from the Dallas Safari Club show in Texas I am going to hit the deer woods at least one more time. That is one of my resolutions this year. It may be the last time I get on property that my grandfather owned so I want to make the most of it.

No comments: