Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Hunter's Rut

Hunter's suffer from rut. They dig themselves into a never-ending routine that limits success. Something will always be moving and hunters just need to get out there to experience. Sure, there will be bucks on lockdown, but that doesn't mean every single buck will do the same.

Each time I've gone out this year, I've noticed deer in virtually all stages of the rutting process. I've seen quality bucks with a single doe while other mature deer have been in full chase mode. For me, this is when hunters need to experience multiple all-day sits. We tend to forget is those all day sits that most hunters aren't willing to do.

Just because action may cease at 9 o'clock doesn't mean deer won't be back on their feet moving at 12. It baffles me when hunters get in more of a routine than the deer do.

Go sit in the stand for a bit, get out, go eat lunch, take a nap and finish out the evening hunt. Same thing every time. Deer can pattern hunters just as much as we pattern them. The day I shot my buck this year came on an all day sit. Was there action all day - no, but there was decent movement at points in the day when most hunting was not taking place.

Mix it up during the season for a change. I think you will be surprised what you see and how much success you will have in the end.

No comments: