Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Must Have Rut Gear

There are few things I ever leave home without when hunting season hits, but when the rut hits here is what I reach for.

Grunt Tube - There isn't anything better than seeing a buck and giving him little grunt. He then walks in, giving you the perfect shot. I don't settle on one single grunt tube. I like to have at least three with me at all times during the rut.

Rattling Horns - I like the real ones. There is just something about banging a real set around instead of some factory sticks.

Trails End #307 - This doe scent is really good all year round, but when pulled out during the rut it seems to work brilliantly. I've also used Special Golden Estrus, which is really useful. It is always a good idea to use a drag on the way to the stand. Once you get near the stand, make a big circle around the stand. This will cause the buck trailing your scent around your stand, giving you multiple shot opportunities.

Lunch - You might as well get settled in because it is going to be a long sit. The best part of rut means action can come at any moment.

Patience - I really think this one is overlooked. Just because it is the rut doesn't mean there will be hundreds of bucks running by the stand every second of the day. Get in early and get out late, but don't forget the side of patience.


No comments: