Thursday, October 18, 2012

Choose your Stuffer

I've been fortunate to harvest a few different trophies, and I'd like to preserve those as best I can. The only problem that I ever have is which taxidermist to I go through? Choosing a taxidermist, to most people comes down to two things - cost and time. It doesn't sound too difficult to select a taxidermist, but you are really selecting someone to preserve memories.

I've had great experiences where the taxidermist really takes his time ensuring I have the best quality specimen. On the other hand, I've been presented with mounts that look more like frankenbuck than anything else. That taxidermist hit on two key components of the selection process, which are of course cost and time. I payed a little over $150 and received the mount back in four to five weeks. On the outside this seems like a no brainer, but to the sportsman that really want a representative sample it wasn't the best.

So how do you come out good on both ends? Here are five easy steps you can take to make sure you are getting the best deals on any given taxidermy work.

SW Oklahoma deer any hunter would be proud of.
1) Check their current inventory - Any taxidermist worth his weight in furs will be working on some projects and will more than likely have some models that are finished. Simply ask to see their work and their workplace.

If you are on the road hunting out of state or in another country do your research before you go. You may want to have a taxidermist in that area ship to your selected local taxidermist.

2) Get a sampling of past clients from the taxidermist - These guys have a clientele list that aren't good buddies of his. Ask for at least 5 references before committing to the harvester-taxidermist relationship.

3) Look through his taxidermy books and commit together on the mold that will house your trophy. I can't tell you how many times I've seen guys disappointed with their mounts because they didn't really know what to expect. You have options. Many times the taxidermist, if he's a pro, will know how to best display the animal. I am all for giving creative license to these guys once I've trusted him with the job, but have an idea of what you envision before diving in.

4) Stay in Contact - Don't loose contact with your taxidermist once you've got him. Finding a good one is sometimes difficult and keeping them seems even more difficult. Deer season he is slammed and spring he slows down.

I'm not talking about harassment here. It is important to keep an open line of communication between the guy you are trusting with your animal and your money. Plus, if you keep that constant contact it will keep you top-of-mind when working. Shoot, bring the guy a cup of coffee and chat about future hunts you have coming up. That way he knows there is potential for more work that is coming his way. He will appreciate it, and you get to see how everything is going.

5) Be up front - There isn't one person in this world that enjoys the run around. If you have a timeline you want your trophy back tell him. Honesty truly is the best policy when it comes to expectations and timeliness.

I've had an elk and bear being mounted for over two years now. That was only supposed to take 18 months due to his popularity and work load. I bit the bullet and let him have my business and my mounts with the expectation that it will take a while. This is fine, but if the three year anniversary come up and I don't have my mounts we may have trouble.

These are just a few ways you can save time and money finding a quality taxidermist. If you have any additional tips feel free to list them. In the upcoming post I will take some pictures of a few more quality mounts and frankenbuck.

No comments: