Wednesday, November 7, 2012

A Hunter's iPhone Review

What a great tool that renders me absolutely useless in the stand. There are so many useful features and apps that one can acquire for the iPhone, but all-in-all it has made us worse hunters.

The stories are endless of hunters missing opportunities because they were on their cell phones, checking scores, reading facebook or texting folks. What a tragedy that we have been blessed with. A completely great tool that is hurting a hunters ability to learn the hunt and enjoy the chase.

I've already counted multiple times that I've missed deer activity because I have been nose deep in a soccer game or a game of solitary. It seems that I am losing my edge when it comes to picking up on the little things. Like a bird's alert to incoming animals or the passing of a car that triggers instant action right in front of me.

The good things is that the iPhone is great to track weather patterns, and if an accident does occur you have access to help. There is another cool little app that you can track your sightings, deer herd management and weather on an app called ScoutLook. I've played around with this thing and have to admit it is really useful. I've also got a GPS Kit that really has been useful when trying to make it to the stand in pitch dark, but for all its great attributes the iPhone hasn't allowed me to become a more alert and knowledgeable hunter.

The iPhone has hampered what used to be an experience of just being in the great outdoors enjoying nature. I cut my teeth learning how to hunt without the iPhone so I know I can sit in one spot without technology impeding on my sit.

Think about how many great hunters came before us and they had no sense of cell phones. Look at the great bowhunters like Fred Bear, Howard Hill, Chuck Adams and Bob Foulkrod. They got the job down by using knowledge-based skills learned from time in the field not time on the net. These are legends. Guys that didn't take the net into the field with them and neither should our hunting generation.

I am going to attempt to put the phone away and just get back to hunting. No more texts to see how other hunters are doing. I am focusing on my hunt and what has been provided for me to enjoy.

Long live the hunt!


2 comments:

Julie Jarnagin said...

You'll only take texts from your wife, right? ;)

Unknown said...

If it is really important. Then, I will accept your incoming text.